• Apr 23, 12:01 pmSENIORS: YOU GRADUATE IN 43 DAYS! KEEP GOING TIGERS!

Filed under Features

2018 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

It’s a dog sporting event held in New York that started in 1877. This weekend there will be hundreds of purebred dogs gathering to go through a series of judges. A dog show is an event where purebreds are examined in conformation for a certain standard, varying on each breed. The judging is very simple to explain, but here is an easier way to explain it for students in school that have never seen one of these events.

Each breed is a subject in school, each classroom is a ring (where the judging takes place), each dog is a project, each judge is a teacher and each student is a handler. The student goes into the class room prepared to do their very best. The students have the project to present, they show the project to the teacher, the teacher grades them. In the ring, the handler presents the dog to their very best ability, they show the judge that the dog is capable of doing what they were bred to do. The judge grades the dogs and puts them in the placement, where the dogs are ranked by which is reaching the standard more than the others. The placements range form first to fourth, then there is Best of Breed, which is the student that has the very best project. Then after that the winning student must present their project to another teacher and against the other subjects.  The winner of this competition is awarded group placements, this means that the dog beat the other breeds in its own group. For example, a rottweiler wins the Working Group. Then that Rottweiler competes against the other winners of their groups, and the winner of that is the overall winner in the show. This placement is called Best in Show.

Kali Walter shows her own dogs. She is excelling in it, and she is now training and showing other people’s dogs. She owns two miniature pinschers, one Rottweiler and one Boston terrier. Westminster is one of the shows that is presented on the TV, however the dogs at this show are invited. Each dog at this show has won an amount of times so that they are able to be presented in front of everyone. The dog show starts Monday, February 12 and ends Tuesday, February 13.  Fox will be broadcasting it!

photo credit: Brenda Walter. Photo of Bubba’s Future Flareon (Eevee) Owned and Handled by Kali Walter.

• 2018 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

Features

Summer Time Is Coming Near…

• 2018 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

Features

Food and Drinks That Reduce Bloating

• 2018 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

Features

Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out To Be True!

• 2018 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

Features

How to Spool a Spinning Reel

• 2018 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

Features

Why is it Called Friday the 13th ?

2018 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show