• Feb 18, 12:01 pmSENIORS: YOU GRADUATE IN 106 DAYS! KEEP GOING TIGERS!

Filed under Showcase

Cars in Space???

A 2008 Tesla Roadster caught a ride through our atmosphere on the Falcon Heavy, built by Elon Musk and his company. The main goal of the mission was to accomplish one full, elliptical orbit between here on Earth and Mars. As long as it doesn’t blow up, it should continue in a continuous orbit around the sun for years to come.

Tuesday, February 6th, 2018, the famous Roadster reached its orbit and coasted for nearly six hours. However,  the craft is now going further into the Solar System than originally planned. According to Elon Musk’s tweet, the car went off orbit and started heading towards the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. But as astronomers saw the tweet and weren’t convinced, they put the pieces together and realized that there is no real possibility for it to reach y distance in x amount of time. So, unfortunately there was no sign of the Roadster in the Asteroid Belt. 🙁

According to revised data done by multiple, credible astronomers, it will take approximately a year and a half for it to complete its orbit around the sun.

Elon Musk did tell reporters that there was a possibility that the Roadster could come into contact with Mars. “Extremely tiny,” he said.

In 11 years, the Tesla is said to approach the Earth, so if you can’t see it now, don’t fret! You will be able to pick out a shiny, red car from a bunch of space rocks.

• Cars in Space???

Showcase

Things to Consider When Deciding What College is Best for you

• Cars in Space???

Showcase

FGM

• Cars in Space???

Showcase

College Bound

• Cars in Space???

Showcase

2018 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

• Cars in Space???

Showcase

Academic Decathlon

Cars in Space???