• May 18, 12:01 pmSENIORS: YOU GRADUATE IN 18 DAYS! KEEP GOING TIGERS!

Filed under Opinion

My Response to “Coachella is Not a Free Pass to Cultural Appropriation”

Upon reading the article concerning cultural appropriation, I found that there were many statements that I simply did not agree with. First and foremost, I would like to address the question posed, “Why do people continue to blindly ignore the fact that wearing clothing from another culture is racist?” My first realization was that the article claims it is an act of racism to wear clothing of other cultures, stating clearly that this is a fact. I do not believe this is a fact, I believe it is a matter of opinion, and most importantly I believe this is where the argument fails in validity.

As a child, I was taught that it is important to be well-versed in the cultures of other countries and societies. I attended Indian events wearing an age-appropriate version of a bendlah. This made it all the more interesting. Not one person there looked at me funny or accused me of being a racist person. In fact, they were glad that I was showing interest. I did this same thing with Chinese, Spanish, Native American, and many other cultures which I was not biologically or societally a member of. I do not have disdain in my heart for the people of any ethnicity, yet I have worn their clothing and learned of their history. The article does not account for this.  

I also feel the need to add my input to the statement “People’s cultures are not a “cool” or “edgy” trend.” Culture, by definition, is “the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.” The word collectively implies that it is meant to be a widespread representation of the culture. Aside from this, culture is passed down through generations and changes in time. The Latin language has contributed to Italian, French, Spanish, and Romanian. None of these cultures are accused of being racist toward the people of Latium. It is what connects them. Just because something is not a part of our culture now, does not mean it cannot someday become a part of our culture so that we may further spread its meaning and value.  

Oftentimes, we dress as others do out of admiration. We are paying homage to its beauty.  If we could all come to understand each other’s food, religion, beliefs, rituals, and societies, we might be able to create a world in which there is no discrimination at all. The nature of this article is what causes the divide in humanity, and this in turn causes racism.  

• My Response to “Coachella is Not a Free Pass to Cultural Appropriation”

Opinion

Reviewing the 2017-2018 Yearbook

Opinion

What I Will (and Won’t) Miss at Elsinore

Opinion

Should Teachers Assign Projects Mid Semester Instead?

Opinion

Why People Should Join Sports

Opinion

Why Fortnite is the Funnest Game Out Right Now