Scientists figured out the Human Genome

Scientists+figured+out+the+Human+Genome

In 2003 scientists figured out 92% of the human genome. On March 31st it was reported that they have mapped out the remaining 8% of the genome after 9 years. Evan Eichler, a scientist who helped with figuring out the genome, said that “95% of the puzzle being solved is good enough for some people. But I guess for me, getting that last 5% was so important because I believe so much of what we don’t understand about disease, or we don’t understand about evolution, is disproportionately represented in that 5% of the of the genome that we didn’t sequence first off.”¬† The genome is a resource that other scientists can use to solve other problems they have.