The Forgotten Faces of Elsinore High School

Back to Article
Back to Article

Elsinore High School has teamed up with Cherished Memories to produce a yearbook full of high quality pictures and beautiful faces. A yearbook is more than a few printed pages bound together, it is a book. It tells a story. We are expected to look back on it in 20 years and reminisce about the memories we created together. This is why I believe everyone should be given the opportunity to have a formal picture in the yearbook. Seniors were required to pay Cherished memories for the pictures in order to be included in the regular senior section! I am able to acknowledge that the fee is low and a waiver is available if absolutely needed; however, I understand that it is still unattainable for some. Many do not have parents willing or able to facilitate such activities. The fee waiver was also, in my opinion, poorly advertised, as the existence of such a thing is not acknowledged on the website, on our Cherished Memories forms, or on our senior activities sheet, and was not so much as mentioned at any of the senior meetings. In fact, the EHS website clearly stated, “seniors who have not taken their senior photos with Cherished Memories Photography will not appear in the Yearbook.” It is unfair to highlight only the seniors with the ability to pay for (via their own money or a fee waiver which they had little to no knowledge of) and attend a photoshoot.  The seniors without the means of obtaining a cap and gown photo will be placed in a separate section of the yearbook with no regard to the implications this could have, as it is nothing short of segregation.

Cherished Memories is also responsible for photographing and dispensing ID cards at registration every year. This means that all underclassmen are included in the yearbook for free. This method is not only more effective, but more inclusive. The same general concept should be implemented in senior portraits to ensure unity. 

The fact of the matter is this, we are less likely to stumble upon a face in the tiny hidden section of seniors without the means of obtaining a senior portrait and therefore, they are less likely to be remembered. It is for that reason that I believe it is wrong to exclude graduating seniors from the featured section of their final high school yearbook. It is an insult to the student who put in time and effort to passing their classes and it is an insult to everyone who knew them. High school friendships do not last forever, but memories do. High school is not only about the basketball players, or the AP Chem kids, or the silent book worms, it is about everyone, and everyone deserves to be remembered.