Filed under Features

The History Behind Gangbanging

There are many people who associate the world “Gang” with negativity and violence and other things along those lines, but gangs, however, were created to promote a strong sense of unity within black communities which then sprawled out to other minorities, the biggest one being hispanics.

In the middle 1900’s era, gangs were initially created to unite people of one neighborhood to defend themselves against the biggest gang of them all… the police. This was needed because during a time of racially motivated actions from the police, from society, and other races, black people created these gangs to protect themselves from their public enemy number one, the police. America has seen such a rise in gang activity because they were products of their environment, products of a racially unjust era, and this was their coping method.

Many speculators believe that the police and gangs themselves mirror each other. They both have their set of rules within their community and both aim to protect themselves and others. The surge in gang activity led to many people believing that gangs were a negative thing, but essentially it is no different from cults or private groups. But because of this negative connotation placed upon them that was then stimulated through years of laws placed upon them, they essentially became more negative, they deviated from their original path of justice and have become prone to gang-on-gang violence, which has led to the death of thousands of people. Although this has pivoted into many different forms of what gangs are for, there are some original gangs that still to this day, use their gang as a way of empowering themselves and protecting their people; it’s not all stereotypical activities such as drive-bys or gang initiations.

• The History Behind Gangbanging

Features

Crayola Makeup Line

• The History Behind Gangbanging

Features

Keeping Your Room Clean

• The History Behind Gangbanging

Features

Skin Care for the Summer

• The History Behind Gangbanging

Features

Perfume Stay!

• The History Behind Gangbanging

Features

DIY Dessert: Peanut Butter Cup Trifle

The History Behind Gangbanging