Filed under Opinion

Should EHS Teachers Be Allowed To Text Students?

Where do we draw the line between this subject being a matter of convenience and an issue of safety? 

Students at EHS have recently reported being contacted by Elsinore High School staff members via direct messaging on social media, some even at very late hours. I find this completely inappropriate and unprofessional. I have no doubt that the majority of these conversations were in regards to when class work is due or how to plan the next meeting for a club; however, it is alarming to me as a minor and a member of the community. I also would imagine that it raises huge concerns in parents and guardians.

Many illegal relationships between teachers and students have originated from text messaging. Last November, a teacher at Westview High School was caught exchanging alarming messages with a teenage girl from his class. In 2016, Alexandria M. Vera admitted to having a sexual relationship with an 8th grade boy whom she had had in her English class. The sexual encounters with the 13-year old reportedly occurred daily. This relationship began from conversations on Instagram. Originally, Vera ignored the boy’s attempts to strike up a conversation over social media. One day, the boy had not shown up to class. In a fit of worry, Vera took to social media to inform the minor of upcoming assignments. It was this simple exchange of information which evolved into a full-blown relationship.  

My intent is not to state that I suspect such relationships occurring at Elsinore High School. I only wish to bring to awareness the potential issue at hand. Text messaging between teachers and students can lead to undeserved grades, inappropriate relationships, negative reputations/rumors, a lack of professional interaction, etc.

Should a teacher need to contact a student or vice versa, I believe the appropriate action would be to send a message via email. Email is not only less intrusive, but it can be viewed and tracked by the district, making it a safer means of communication. Text messaging is dangerous for both the teacher and the student involved. The benefits which accompany it do not override the risks. 

• Should EHS Teachers Be Allowed To Text Students?

Opinion

Winterfest

Opinion

Being Physically Attractive is More Rewarding? — Think Again

Opinion

Xbox Vs PS4

Opinion

What is Urban Dictionary?

Opinion

Technology vs. Not Technology