Filed under Opinion

Tampons and Maxi-Pads Should Be In The Boys Bathroom Too

People may read the title of this article and be confused. You may or may not know that the school recently installed tampon and maxi-pad dispensers in most, if not all, of the girls’ bathrooms here at school. I feel that the school should also put them in the boys’ restrooms. This is because at this school there are students who are FTM (female-to-male) transgenders. This means these students were born with female genitalia, a female reproductive system, and have monthly periods, even though they identify as male. (Please note that sex and gender are two different things. Sex is your biological sex organs you were assigned at birth, and gender refers to how someone feels inside whether that is male, female, or other. Gender expression is how someone expresses their gender identity.)

These FTM transgender students who use the boys’ restroom are often closeted about their biological sex. They identify as male and many other students do not know that they are trans-males. It is unfair for these transgender students to not have a safe space with free access to the materials that they really need. Most of them cannot use the female restroom because they are not openly transgender, and using the girls restroom while identifying as male will either expose their transgender identity to students who may not know, or get them accused of sexual harassment for using the bathroom that does not identify with their gender identity/expression. In order to truly help these students maintain their privacy and access the menstrual health products they need, the school should put tampons or pads in the boys bathrooms too.

• Tampons and Maxi-Pads Should Be In The Boys Bathroom Too

Opinion

Techno Take Over

Opinion

Are You Too Old to Celebrate Halloween?

Opinion

Is All Water the Same?

Opinion

The Breath Series By Rebecca Donovan

Opinion

Teacher Appreciation