Filed under Opinion

Are School Dress Codes Sexist?

California is well known for its warm weather. Summer and fall are known for being extremely hot and humid. During the fall, countless girls get “dress coded” for violating the rules of school dress code.

Teens are fighting against dress codes in schools because they think they’re sexist. Dress codes are often enforced unfairly and give the message that women’s bodies are too distracting. Some argue dress codes are necessary for boys and girls, and that it doesn’t have to be sexist.

Some think that dress codes promote the sexualization and objectification of women’s bodies. Girls often have to be pulled out of classrooms to go home or change their clothing. Does this not give the message that the education of young boys is more valuable? Males are never really told that their shoulders, stomach, or legs are a problem and “inappropriate.”

Elsinore High is not really that strict with dress code, but it still does occur occasionally. The vast majority of those dress coded are girls. This is a problem. Young female students should not be dress coded because it perpetuates rape culture. That is why male students should be taught not to sexualize female body parts instead.

Women are not sexual objects, they are human beings that should be treated with respect. Dress code plays a huge role in objectifying women, and it continues the rape culture mindset of victim blaming.

• Are School Dress Codes Sexist?

Opinion

Techno Take Over

• Are School Dress Codes Sexist?

Opinion

Are You Too Old to Celebrate Halloween?

• Are School Dress Codes Sexist?

Opinion

Is All Water the Same?

• Are School Dress Codes Sexist?

Opinion

The Breath Series By Rebecca Donovan

• Are School Dress Codes Sexist?

Opinion

Teacher Appreciation

Are School Dress Codes Sexist?