Filed under Features

The Differences Between Softball and Baseball

A lot of people who don’t play softball or baseball automatically think that they’re the same, besides the fact that girls play one while boys play the other. It’s clear to say that those who do play know they aren’t as similar as they appear.

For example, in baseball the guys pitch overhand with a 9 inch to 9.25 inch sized baseball. In softball, the girls pitch underhand. The size of the ball depends on the age group, but the typical size of a fast pitch softball is 12 inches. Clearly it is much larger.

The distance from home plate to the pitcher’s mound in softball is exactly 43 feet, while in baseball it is exactly 60 feet and 6 inches. The standard distance from one base to another in softball is 60 feet, while baseball’s standard distance from base to base is 90 feet. The difference in feet from the bases in each sport has determined the size of the field. That’s why a baseball field has such a larger field than a softball field.

The basic rules in each sport are practically the same, but there are still some differences. An official baseball game consists of 9 innings, while an official softball game consists of 7 innings. In baseball, the runner may leave the base at any time. In softball, the runner may not leave the base until the ball is pitched. Baseball players are able to use a wooden bat, but softball players don’t get that option, although we are all able to use composite balls as well as the large variety of other bats. All in all, softball and baseball are sort of similar. But it’s easy to see that there are many differences in balls, rules, fields, and more in these two sports.

Hailey Schroeder, staff writer

My name is Hailey Schroeder, and I am sixteen years old. I was born on May 7th of 2002. My ethnicity is half Mexican and half Polish. I have a skin condition called Vitiligo. I enjoy playing sports, but my main sport is softball. I am a catcher, first baseman, and an outfielder. Preferably center fielder. I am very kind and caring to my peers. Including my four siblings. Two of them are girls, while the other two are boys. My favorite type of food is Italian. All in all, I may not sound anywhere near interesting but I am actually very enthusiastic and fun. 

• The Differences Between Softball and Baseball

Features

Is Daylight Saving a Good Thing or Not

Features

The 10 Worst Foods For Your Health

Features

Dia De Los Muertos

Features

Cope With Stress

Features

Poland Syndrome