Filed under Showcase

Identifying Anxiety

Anxiety is a disorder. A disorder that makes you feel… different. Examples of this includes panic attacks, obsessive- compulsive disorder, and post- traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Some individuals experience a more difficult time with anxiety than others. Anxiety ranges from the way your body feels to the way you think and behave. People with Anxiety can experience fatigue, restlessness, and sweating all over the body as an effect.  A cognitive effect from Anxiety is lack of concentration, racing thoughts, or unwanted thoughts. Behaviorally, hyper-vigilance and irritability are also an identification of Anxiety. It is also common for people to have excessive worry, fear, feelings impending doom, insomnia, nausea, palpitations, and trembling. It all depends on the person themselves.

Anxiety is very common. There are over 3 million US cases per year. The only way to “treat” Anxiety is counseling or medications, including antidepressants. From ages 6 and up, individuals are affected by Anxiety. I feel like people should be more considerate for people with Anxiety. For example, a lot of teachers like to choose the kid who doesn’t raise their hand in class because they assume the student isn’t “paying attention.” I believe that teachers shouldn’t do that, because kids with Anxiety have a very difficult time in this type of situation. It’ s not just the fear of being embarrassed or humiliated for having a wrong answer. It’s worse. The student you chose to answer the question you desperately wanted answered probably feels extremely panicked or stressed, adding onto the humiliation. Teachers like to put people on the spot, in front of the whole class, and that’s already a trigger. I’m not picking on teachers, because there are plenty more situations where people with Anxiety are gradually freaking out, but it’s the situation that I’ve been repeatedly put in myself. Sometimes it feels like I can’t even get my words out, or I can feel my heartbeat throughout my whole body. Other times I feel nervous. Really nervous, but there’s absolutely nothing to be nervous about and I know that. But that’s the way my body feels. All in all, everyone’s case is different, so please be considerate of the way others feel. It can be more effective than just a feeling to some people, and things like this don’t need to be escalated into something that should have never happened.

Hailey Schroeder, staff writer

My name is Hailey Schroeder, and I am sixteen years old. I was born on May 7th of 2002. My ethnicity is half Mexican and half Polish. I have a skin condition called Vitiligo. I enjoy playing sports, but my main sport is softball. I am a catcher, first baseman, and an outfielder. Preferably center fielder. I am very kind and caring to my peers. Including my four siblings. Two of them are girls, while the other two are boys. My favorite type of food is Italian. All in all, I may not sound anywhere near interesting but I am actually very enthusiastic and fun. 

• Identifying Anxiety

Showcase

The Pressure to be Perfect

• Identifying Anxiety

Showcase

The T in LGBT

• Identifying Anxiety

Showcase

Representing A Hero

• Identifying Anxiety

Showcase

What Should be Done to Stop Cyberbullying?

• Identifying Anxiety

Showcase

Intelligence

Identifying Anxiety