What Should be Done to Stop Cyberbullying?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cyberbullying seems to be a huge issue all around the world. It’s a very sensitive subject to many for they have experienced it. Students, mainly, have been driven to suicide due to the hatred spread through bullying and cyberbullying. Cyberbullying is absolutely horrible. A lot of people use online applications in an evil way. It’s easy to taunt, make fun of, and threaten people on the internet because it doesn’t involve any confrontation. A lot of individuals cyberbully for their own satisfaction, and that’s what makes society so disappointing.

Social media is the gate that welcomes all cyberbullies. What can be done to stop it? I believe that parents should be more involved in adolescents’ time on the internet. Teens will only see it as a pestering situation, but imagine how many attempted suicides and actual suicides could have been prevented. I don’t believe that teens should be restricted from social media at a certain time, but that they should be checked upon. Students can help other students in this type of situation by reaching out for help. A lot of students are afraid to reach out for help due to the aggression and hate given by the bully. It makes them scared.

If you are the person in the situation, save the evidence. The information is very valuable once saved for it is evidence to be shown if things escalate. It’s also a better and safer way to not respond to the bully. Depending on the response, it makes the aggressor think that they have power over you. People’s emotions are extremely powerful. Don’t be the person to drive someone else to a disastrous experience. Take action when being put in a bad predicament such as this.