Filed under Features

The Truth About Orcas Kept in Captivity

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Truth About Orcas Kept in Captivity

There are currently 71 orcas being held captive in aquariums and parks throughout the world. At least 164 orcas have died in captivity since 1961 and 48 of these orcas have died while being held in one of the world’s most beloved marine mammal parks, Sea World.

Orcas swim up to 100 miles in the wild and can dive to at least 330 feet. The tanks at Seaworld, however, are only 350 feet long and 36 feet deep. This means that an orca living in one of Sea World’s tanks would have to swim 1,500 times back and forth to travel the same distance as a wild orca does daily. Imagine living in a bathtub.

Orcas die 2.5 times faster in captivity than in the wild. The average lifespan of a female orca in captivity is 29 years and the average lifespan of a male orca in captivity is 17 years. In the wild, female orcas live an average of 50 years but can live to over 100. Male orcas, on the other hand, live an average of 30 years but can survive up to 60 years.

Wild orcas pose no threat to human life and only one orca attack has ever been recorded. Orcas in captivity, however, have been recorded attacking and killing several people who have entered their enclosure.

Orcas are clearly suffering immensely when held in captivity and should be freed to their natural habitat.

• The Truth About Orcas Kept in Captivity

Features

Money Sucks

Features

Get a Job

Features

Advantages of Online Shopping

Features

How to De-stress

Features

Oversized Clothing

The Truth About Orcas Kept in Captivity