Filed under Features

Poland Syndrome

Back to Article
Back to Article

Poland Syndrome

Out of the 75% of people affected by Poland Syndrome, my little brother is one of them. Poland Syndrome is a birth defect characterized by an undeveloped chest muscle and short webbed fingers on one side of the body. The extent and severity of the abnormalities vary among affected individuals. My brother is missing his pectoral major on the right side of his body, which runs from the upper arm to the sternum. Also, on his right hand, his index finger as well as his middle finger are webbed together. This is called syndactyly. Because of this, his index finger only has two bones instead of three. In addition to the webbed fingers, his right hand and forearm is significantly smaller than his left. He has a rib deformity as well, which is normal in this case. The ribs are shortened and noticeable when there is less fat beneath the skin. Poland Syndrome is believed to start in the 6th week of gestation. When his limbs were forming, there wasn’t enough blood supply pumping to his extremities. Reconstructive surgery is the most viable treatment option for Poland Syndrome. It involves using existing chest wall muscles, or other muscles throughout the body as needed, to fill in the missing portion. Surgery can also be used for grafting ribs to move them into the right spot. In the future, my brother will be needing surgery to help with this. My brother is 2 years old and is full of love and laughter. He is adapting to the use of his hand with the webbed fingers. Besides that, he goes about his day as any 2 year old would. Playing on the daily, and making messes! It doesn’t change the person as a whole, or affect any other part of them. Poland Syndrome is a beautiful creation by God!

Hailey Schroeder, staff writer

My name is Hailey Schroeder, and I am sixteen years old. I was born on May 7th of 2002. My ethnicity is half Mexican and half Polish. I have a skin condition...

• Poland Syndrome

Features

Stay Hydrated

• Poland Syndrome

Features

I Love You (Poem)

• Poland Syndrome

Features

Happy Belated Mother’s Day

• Poland Syndrome

Features

Funny Movies to Watch This Summer

• Poland Syndrome

Features

Beyonce Skittle Portrait

Poland Syndrome