Filed under Showcase

The Struggles of a Student Athlete

Being a student athlete is a struggle. Student athletes have to balance their time with school and sports. Normally, sports last around 3 hours of practice after school. After practicing, it is essentially to eat and get cleaned up when you arrive home. Once finishing all of that, then homework needs to get done. Having three hours of practice really messes with the time you have left to do your schoolwork. Imagine ending school at 2:30 P.M and then going home around 5:30 P.M to 6:00 P.M, depending on the coach. That means a late night is common for all student athletes unless they choose to set aside their school work, which is not very wise considering that grades are necessary when playing sports for high school. A student athlete’s GPA must range from a 2.5 and up to be eligible to play. If their GPA does not exceed this, then they will simply be benched and not play until they get their grades up.

A common interference with sports and the body is the soreness from a hard core practice! The difficulty is real, believe it or not. Going up stairs with insanely sore legs is miserable. Also, being a participant in physical activity just gives a bottomless stomach and never ending hunger. I’m ALWAYS hungry after practice or a game. Another struggle is staying at school during break. Some coaches schedule practices during winter break, summer break, spring break, or summer break to prep you for the upcoming season. I have personally experienced this, and it sucks! Mainly because I expected to sleep in during break, but my coaches placed the practices to start at 7:00 A.M.

But being part of a sport requires commitment. Personally, I always feel like I’m behind in schoolwork even if I am not. It’s the paranoia I have balancing school with my sport. I always feel as if I forgot to do something that could eventually affect my grade. Also, being in school and sports feels like you never have time to yourself. I play high school ball, and I would literally go to school, go to practice after school, go home and eat after practice, and then shower and go to sleep. That was a my life 24/6. Not 24/7 because Sunday was my “day off.” With softball in my case, it felt like I could never go out and do things with my friends because I would have a game every Saturday and practice Friday, which left me Sunday, and nobody wants to hang on a Sunday. All in all, the struggle is definitely real when it comes to being a student athlete. There are a lot of responsibilities and loads of stress when being a participant in high school sports.

Hailey Schroeder, staff writer

My name is Hailey Schroeder, and I am sixteen years old. I was born on May 7th of 2002. My ethnicity is half Mexican and half Polish. I have a skin condition called Vitiligo. I enjoy playing sports, but my main sport is softball. I am a catcher, first baseman, and an outfielder. Preferably center fielder. I am very kind and caring to my peers. Including my four siblings. Two of them are girls, while the other two are boys. My favorite type of food is Italian. All in all, I may not sound anywhere near interesting but I am actually very enthusiastic and fun. 

• The Struggles of a Student Athlete

Showcase

Six Recommendations For Beginners

• The Struggles of a Student Athlete

Showcase

What To Do When You Feel Like You’re Being Followed

• The Struggles of a Student Athlete

Showcase

Forgetting About Thanksgiving

• The Struggles of a Student Athlete

Showcase

Danza Azteca Xochipilli

• The Struggles of a Student Athlete

Showcase

Do the Restrooms Need Some Updates?

The Struggles of a Student Athlete