Filed under Showcase

Day of the Little Candles

Back to Article
Back to Article

Day of the Little Candles

The day when –for people– Christmas officially begins.

The Day of the Little Candles is a distinctly Colombian tradition… but why do I talk about it? Well … because it is one of the most beautiful Christmas festivities that anyone can ever experience.

Every December 7th the families prepare and buy as many candles as possible. Many children know this day for being the day where they meet with their neighbors to play around in the streets waving sparkle-sticks, best known for the local people as “Sparkling Butterflies,” while the adults listen to music and make a great party.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t know the neighbor of the neighbor of the neighbor… The party is for everyone and everyone is the host.

When night falls, many people prepare small lanterns and candles with which they will decorate the sidewalk, balconies, streets, parks, squares, etc. Hundreds of candles that feed the smiles of the youngest and keep alive one of the most emblematic traditions of the country.

In the capital (Bogota) many people go to the “Seventh Streeth” in the center of the city where this great street becomes a pedestrian crossing and artistic samples made by common people are appreciated by the local and foreign, but that is only the beginning because the main attraction is in one of the tallest buildings in Colombia, Colpatria, where a large fireworks show announces to families that Christmas has arrived.

Plaza de Bolivar in front of  The Palace of Nariño (Presidential House)

And why do they do it?

The meaning is simple and very traditional, since it dates from the year 1854 and honors Holy Mary for her pregnancy of the baby Jesus.

This festivity ends while many eyes admire the colorful candles consumed during the dawn of December 8th that is a national holiday.

Would you like to experience this tradition?

Valentina Munoz, staff writer

Valentina Munoz is a senior at Elsinore High School. She enjoys everything related with art such as music, dance, writing, drawing, and filmmaking. One...

• Day of the Little Candles

Showcase

All the Candy Created Since 2002

• Day of the Little Candles

Showcase

Join Earth Club!

• Day of the Little Candles

Showcase

Counselors are Important

• Day of the Little Candles

Showcase

Stupid Decisions

• Day of the Little Candles

Showcase

What Would Life Be Like Without Technology?

Day of the Little Candles