Filed under Opinion

Being Physically Attractive is More Rewarding? — Think Again

There is an idea in the world that attractive people tend to obtain more acceptance and benefits. Well, I am here to tell you that this is far from what attractive people deal with on a regular basis. These are some of the disadvantages of being physically attractive. 

1. I will start with the obvious annoyance of having all eyes on you. People who are more attractive tend to obtain more stares, especially when it comes to men finding a woman pretty. Men have the tendency to take long hard stares, while women take frequent short glances. In these cases, good looking people, have a higher risk of becoming a victim of dangerous stalking, which could potentially lead to a problematic encounter.
  2. There is an epidemic across the entire world, where good looking women are not taken seriously in the workforce. Men often take advantage of these women, thinking that they are not there to be professional and hardworking, but rather, slutty, and “easy” to get to because of an idea that they are only there to find men. This is hurtful to a pretty woman’s reputation, because an attractive woman is commonly mistaken for her actions and she is therefore not taken seriously. Furthermore, causing this population of attractive women to feel as they have to constantly prove that they are more than just a pretty face; they might do this by excelling in their profession, or showing they can contribute equally, to their male competitors. Attractive males experience this too, but in a different formula. Society tends to view attractive men as “woman hunters” and who use women and throw them away. Unfortunately, an attractive person, male or female, is always hyper-sexualized in society, whether they ask for it or not.  
  3. You never know who to trust. Attractive people have more trust issues than average looking beings, because they are always reading their acquaintances; whether the person is being polite because he or she respects that attractive individual, or he or she is being nice, simply because they find that individual attractive, thus hoping to score some points. This makes it hard for attractive people to become accustomed to their environment and meet new people whom they can trust.  
  4. If you are smart. They are surprised to know that you aren’t just a pretty or handsome face. Many times, in history have we experienced someone who caught us off guard with their occupation. This is because attractive individuals, are not associated with being smart, or successful through dignified means. If a young man were to meet a young attractive woman walking along the streets in the evening, he would most likely assume that she was an exotic dancer or entertainer of some sort. Yet, he does not know that she works a nine-to-five schedule as a social worker. 
  5. People think your life is amazing just because you are better looking. Science shows that it is completely opposite. In fact, attractive people, tend to be more self-conscious about themselves, because they know that everyone expects them to be jolly all the time. And if a good-looking person were to show some distress, others would automatically make assumptions that the person is self-centered, arrogant, disrespectful, bratty etc. This hit me hard the other day, when I was trying to sympathize with my classmate. She was complaining that her life was tough and about the lack of hours she slept that night. “I hate my life,” is what she stated to me. Sympathetically I told her, “me too,” overhearing my statement, another classmate then proceeded to tell me,” Your life doesn’t suck, you’re a model.” This girl had made the conclusion that my life was amazing, just because I had an occupation most teenagers do not obtain.  

In the end, it is important to understand that we should never judge a book by its cover. Most of these problems listed exist because society tends to see the worst in people, and make assumptions that are far from that individual’s reality. This can also relate to the idea of assuming one’s sexuality, race, or religion, and when a person is surprised by that individual’s response, the excuse is, “You don’t look like a Muslim, that’s odd.” Because how we look does not determine our characters and our identities.   

• Being Physically Attractive is More Rewarding? — Think Again

Opinion

Winterfest

Opinion

Xbox Vs PS4

Opinion

What is Urban Dictionary?

Opinion

Technology vs. Not Technology

Opinion

Are the New iPads Worth It?