Filed under News

Turpin Case

A spokesman for the city of Perris said the state was supposed to have let it know that the Turpins were operating a school out of their home but never did. All thirteen of the Turpin children, ages two to twenty-nine, have been admitted to hospitals for treatment for severe malnutrition. The tan stucco house that the Turpins called home was required to have annual fire inspections because David Allen Turpin had gotten state approval to run a private school called Sandcastle Day School on the site and he was listed as the principal. But when The Associated Press asked for the inspection records, Perris Assistant City Clerk Judy Haughney said there weren’t any. And city Fire Marshal Dave Martinez did not return a call from NBC News seeking an explanation. “We are sickened by this tragedy and relieved the children are now safe and authorities are investigating,” the California Board of Education said in a statement. “Private schools are required to register with the state to record their students’ exemption from compulsory attendance at public schools. Under current California law, the CDE does not approve, monitor, inspect, or oversee private schools, but we will gladly work to make changes in the law that would prevent this type of tragedy from occurring in the future.” A spokesman for the city of Perris, however, said the state was supposed to have let it know that the Turpins were operating a school out of their home but never did.

About the Writers
Daisy Meza, staff writer

Daisy Meza is 17 years old, she is a senior attending Elsinore High School. After she graduates she would like to attend Cal Poly for her nursing degree....

Gizelle Mora, staff writer

Gizelle Mora is a 17 year old senior at Elsinore High School. She enjoys hanging out with friends and family.  Her favorite place to go is the beach....

• Turpin Case

News

Musician Claims Police Brutality

• Turpin Case

News

Doctor Charged in Wife’s Murder

• Turpin Case

News

CHP Officer Dies After Being Hit On Side Of I-15 Near Elsinore

• Turpin Case

News

The Russian Whale Spy

• Turpin Case

News

Heroes Are Everywhere

Turpin Case