Filed under Features

Speaking More Than One Language

Back to Article
Back to Article

Speaking More Than One Language

Photo Credit: Valentina M.

Photo Credit: Valentina M.

Photo Credit: Valentina M.

Speaking more than one language is always going to be very useful, especially when looking for a job or even interacting with new people.

Some people have the advantage of learning more than one language ​​since they are very young because at least one of their parents speaks a foreign language.

Others, when they reach a certain age, become very interested in learning a new language because they like it or just because it’s a job requirement, and even those who, for different reasons, have to learn a new language when moving to a new country.

In my case, when I started middle school my interests in music were greatly influenced by new songs and artists of the moment. That’s how I really started learning English on my own.

Later, when my parents made the decision to move, my English level was high enough, but the fact of having to test my skills terrified me, and my biggest obstacle to overcome was precisely that my parents didn’t know absolutely ANYTHING about English when we arrived here, so I was and still am, on some occasions, their walking translator.

Although at first it was a great pressure on me to be the only one in my family who spoke English, over time this has become a pleasant experience. It has been a nice way to realize how good it feels to help people with small actions and see them show their gratitude with a compliment or just with a big smile.

Of course, and I hope not to be the only one, sometimes it’s easy to forget certain words and you have to give an explanation of a whole paragraph to describe a simple word to make your friends understand what you mean… funny and curious things that happen frequently.

Valentina Munoz, staff writer

Valentina Munoz is a senior at Elsinore High School. She enjoys everything related with art such as music, dance, writing, drawing, and filmmaking. One...

• Speaking More Than One Language

Features

Stay Hydrated

• Speaking More Than One Language

Features

I Love You (Poem)

• Speaking More Than One Language

Features

Happy Belated Mother’s Day

• Speaking More Than One Language

Features

Funny Movies to Watch This Summer

• Speaking More Than One Language

Features

Beyonce Skittle Portrait

Speaking More Than One Language