Filed under Student Life

Phelan-Lucky

Back to Article
Back to Article

Phelan-Lucky

On March 13 of 2019, Elsinore High School was able to gain an insurmountable amount of support from people to raise awareness for Phelan-McDermid Syndrome.  According to the Phelan-McDermid Syndrome Foundation, this rare genetic disease affects about two thousand individuals worldwide, and it is caused by a mutation of the SHANK3 gene or a deletion (a missing piece) of genetic material that causes many different but related symptoms. Elsinore High School was able to motivate many students to raise awareness, and to demonstrate their support for the foundation, and no money was asked for.

Instead, the students were asked to wear green clothing as a method to raise awareness and to show their overwhelming support for the foundation and to those who are diagnosed with Phelan-McDermid Syndrome. As a student who also was able to partake in this event, I was glad to be introduced to this syndrome, because I was able to gain more insight about the specific genetic disease. Since I have a class in the morning—zero period—I was able to notice a few of my classmates who forgot to dress in green drive back home in order to attain an article of clothing to show their support. Though the Phelan-McDermid Syndrome Awareness Day—Phelan Lucky—is only recognized once a year, it is important to not forget about the genetic disease, and to continue to show support and raise awareness in order to find a cure. 

Todd Aries Acebedo, staff writer

Todd Aries Acebedo is a seventeen-year-old senior at Elsinore High School who enjoys living on earth. This staff writer is an Aries and is a strong...

• Phelan-Lucky

Student Life

TIGERS(Poem)

• Phelan-Lucky

Student Life

Senior Pranks!

• Phelan-Lucky

Student Life

Co-Ed Soccer Tournament

• Phelan-Lucky

Showcase

You’re Not Alone

• Phelan-Lucky

Student Life

Pay Attention Seniors

Phelan-Lucky