Filed under News

Lake Elsinore Poppy Flowers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lake Elsinore Poppy Flowers

Visitors enjoy the views of the poppy fields at the overwhelmingly popular wildflower viewing area at Walker Canyon in Lake Elsinore on Monday, March 18, 2019. The weekend traffic and associated problems, such as overflowing portable toilets, bumper-to-bumper traffic and cars parking on the 15 Freeway, forced city officials to cut off access to the area Sunday. (Photo by Jennifer Cappuccio Maher, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin/SCNG)

Photo Credit: Staff Photographer

Photo Credit: Staff Photographer

Photo Credit: Staff Photographer

After several weekends that turned chaotic when hundreds of thousands of visitors descended on Walker Canyon off the 15 Freeway, the city announced Thursday, March 21, that it would mount a massive effort to control crowds and address other problems. The city closed off access Sunday, March 17, before reopening it the next day. The plan, announced in a late Thursday morning news conference, includes that the shuttles being canceled amid the chaos of last weekend, will resume on weekends but will now cost $10 a person, up from $5. They will be the only way to reach the flower fields on Saturdays and Sundays. Past problems included drivers parking on the freeway, cars backed up for miles on the 15, overflowing toilets, a hit-and-run that struck a city employee and even a person and a dog bitten by rattlesnakes. Now, weekend shuttle service will run from 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., with the last ride to the flowers leaving at 5 p.m. and the last shuttle back to the Outlets at Lake Elsinore at 7 p.m. Pets, other than service animals, won’t be allowed on the shuttles. Last week, the cost to ride was $5, before the service was canceled.

About the Writers
Daisy Meza, staff writer

Daisy Meza is 17 years old, she is a senior attending Elsinore High School. After she graduates she would like to attend Cal Poly for her nursing degree....

Gizelle Mora, staff writer

Gizelle Mora is a 17 year old senior at Elsinore High School. She enjoys hanging out with friends and family.  Her favorite place to go is the beach....

• Lake Elsinore Poppy Flowers

News

Elsinore High Was on Lock Down

• Lake Elsinore Poppy Flowers

News

Trump Says He’s Considering Sending Migrants to Sanctuary Cities

• Lake Elsinore Poppy Flowers

News

Malaysia Flight MH370

• Lake Elsinore Poppy Flowers

News

EHS Students: You Are All Invited

• Lake Elsinore Poppy Flowers

News

Lucky Charms Limited-Edition Boxes?

Lake Elsinore Poppy Flowers