Filed under Showcase

Girls Can Play Too

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls Can Play Too

Samantha Aguilar is on the football team and has been playing for two seasons. She explains to me how women are overlooked in our society, which is why she wanted to try out for the football program. She knew that other girls would see her on the field, not just as a kicker, like most female football players, but a lineman, and would think, “Hey, I can do that.”  

Unfortunately, women in the twenty-first century are still competing to be seen as equals. Women deal with day to day problems in the workplace just being side by side with men. This is probably why Samantha is the only girl on the football team. She explains that trying out was the most difficult part because she was discouraged at every level. Samantha said, “I know some of the coaches said I would not be able to accomplish the task of being on the team and some of the school administration also said no because a girl should not be playing football and that it would be too dangerous.” But through those obstacles, she was able to try out for the team with the help from her parents and a teacher.  

Sam feels she has been overlooked because of her size, as well as for being a girl, but there are many boys on the team that are smaller in size compared to her. She feels that they are able to play because they are boys, and parents and teachers never seem to say it’s too dangerous for them. Sadly, she has been told it seems to be too dangerous for her. Samantha hopes to change that mentality for the next generation of girls who are currently watching her play and want to follow in her footsteps. 

About the Writers
Daisy Meza, staff writer

Daisy Meza is 17 years old, she is a senior attending Elsinore High School. After she graduates she would like to attend Cal Poly for her nursing degree....

Gizelle Mora, staff writer

Gizelle Mora is a 17 year old senior at Elsinore High School. She enjoys hanging out with friends and family.  Her favorite place to go is the beach....

• Girls Can Play Too

Showcase

You’re Not Alone

• Girls Can Play Too

Showcase

Peer Pressure

• Girls Can Play Too

Showcase

“Lockdowns Bother Me”

• Girls Can Play Too

Showcase

AP Testing

• Girls Can Play Too

Showcase

What to Do When You Don’t Know What to Write About

Girls Can Play Too