Filed under News

The Russian Whale Spy

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Russian Whale Spy

A beluga whale was found in Arctic Norway wearing a suspicious camera strapped to its head. It is friendly and has been seeking out human contact and is in no hurry swim back to Mother Russia, or anywhere for that matter.

“The whale was really friendly and came up to us and started opening its mouth, and just checking us out,” said Jorgen Ree Wiig, an official with the Norwegian Directorate of Fisheries. “We were trying to talk to it.”

Wiig told NBC News he’s rarely seen a whale so confidently seeking out human interaction: “That’s really untypical.”

The whale became famous worldwide after Norweigan fishermen first spotted it last week with a harness strapped near its head. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a small GoPro camera attached to the harness marked with “Equipment St Petersburg,” raising suspicions the whale was working as a Kremlin spy. Wiig theorized this whale is from a notorious whale operation in Siberia that once trapped massive maritime mammals for sale to aquariums. That so-called “whale jail,” has since been disbanded with operators  randomly dumping evidence.

“I don’t know if you’ve heard about the whale sanctuary in Siberia, it’s a whale sanctuary that was a little bit illegal I think, and it was shut down because it caught a lot of whales last year, like orcas and belugas,” Wiig explained.

Tatiyana Dotson, staff writer

This is Tatiyana. She came from Orange County, California and is starting her senior year here at Elsinore High School and is desperately waiting to...

• The Russian Whale Spy

News

Musician Claims Police Brutality

• The Russian Whale Spy

News

Doctor Charged in Wife’s Murder

• The Russian Whale Spy

News

CHP Officer Dies After Being Hit On Side Of I-15 Near Elsinore

• The Russian Whale Spy

News

Heroes Are Everywhere

• The Russian Whale Spy

News

Hostess Releases Twinkies-Flavored Coffee (Tatiyana)

The Russian Whale Spy