Filed under Showcase

Peer Pressure

Peer pressure is a subject that many people speak about, but don’t actually understand the severity of it. Teenagers all around the world develop a strong desire to fit in with their peers and be accepted by them. This desire makes peer pressure difficult to resist. Peer pressure is likely to cause unsafe or illegal behavior, along with a higher risk of depression and other emotional issues. Teens with few boundaries or rules at home are far more susceptible to peer pressure than those with firm expectations and strict rules. Setting clear boundaries, with consequences, cements this influence.

A good way to avoid being peer pressured is to avoid stressful situations in the first place. Get to know someone completely before you befriend them so that you aren’t negatively influenced to do irrelevant activities. You can also consider the results of giving in. Ask yourself, “Is this really what I should be doing?” Just take a moment to think about the consequences to your actions. Evaluate your mood changes. You need to be aware that your moods can affect your sensibility.

Binge drinking rates among teens between the ages of 12 and 20 have come down; however, 14% of this age demographic still report engaging in binge drinking in the prior month. To all my fellow teens, please get to know and understand your worth. Don’t change so that people will like you. Be yourself and the right people will love you for who you truly are. Keep in mind that you are not alone, and anyone could be facing the struggles with peer pressure that you may be. How would you help a friend struggling with this type of situation? Now that you’ve thought that through, apply it to yourself. Remember to think before you do. Respect and love yourself in every way possible.

Hailey Schroeder, staff writer

My name is Hailey Schroeder, and I am sixteen years old. I was born on May 7th of 2002. My ethnicity is half Mexican and half Polish. I have a skin condition...

• Peer Pressure

Showcase

You’re Not Alone

• Peer Pressure

Showcase

“Lockdowns Bother Me”

• Peer Pressure

Showcase

AP Testing

• Peer Pressure

Showcase

What to Do When You Don’t Know What to Write About

• Peer Pressure

Showcase

Prom…?

Peer Pressure