What Is a Book?

But someone’s fanfiction?
What Is a Book?

Recently, it’s come to me that fiction books are, in a way, fanfiction. You’ve come to write a story of characters you’ve created, ship together, and publish to a larger crowd.

While I love books, I find the thought hilarious that someone is writing fanfiction for a larger crowd about two characters they made and decided to write backstories, descriptions, actions and so much more of them. Stories are works of art that few can understand. If I tell you to picture a small room, a yellow couch in one corner, a drawer and lamp by it– you don’t picture it the way I do.

With the little description I gave myself and you, I see a painted room. A small square room, walls painted a grayish blue with a yellow couch underneath a rectangular window, a drawer with silver hinges, wood a deep brown, on the right side of the couch with a small curved, silver lamp on it.

Stories provide things only you can picture a certain way, and depending on the writer, maybe everyone will see it the way you do. Be it fanfiction, a newsletter, journal entry or even poetry by a wonderful poet, it’s all words. Words you put together so beautifully, intermingled in a way that makes it sound or read smoothly.

If you prefer words that fit in a way that rhymes, or sounds so nice, written so well it makes your heart swell, poetry is for you.

Or maybe words can’t catch your eye as much as art does, then maybe comics or Manga would be preferred.

What I tell you can be found in a library, your library! If it doesn’t feel ‘write’ with you, maybe you should try. The pen is mightier than the sword, is it not?

/\__/\