Debunking the 2 Gender Debate

Debunking the 2 Gender Debate

One common argument against accepting trans people, specifically people under the nonbinary umbrella, is that there are only two genders. The usual elaboration is naming male and female. There are more than two gender identities, but even in the context of biological sex, it would still be an inaccurate claim. There is a distinct difference between sex and gender. There are more than two gender identities, there are even more than two biological sexes! Not only male and female, but intersex. The only related mix-up left would be chromosomes. If there are more than two gender identities and biological sexes, wouldn’t there only be two chromosome patterns that define sex? Surprisingly enough, there are six, not two!

Confusing gender, sex, and chromosome patterns are understandable. But sometimes other points are brought up that deserve to be addressed. One could argue that anomalies in chromosome patterns shouldn’t be acknowledged, but that would be illogical. We acknowledge a small percentage of people all the time, examples being people who are left-handed or people with red hair. Even if the percentage of people who are transgender, people who are intersex, or people with irregular chromosome patterns WAS insignificant in size statistically, why exclude other people? Small groups of people shouldn’t be disregarded. They are still people and deserve proper recognition, representation, and inclusion.

That being said, opinions including ones disregarding factual evidence can be respected if not harmful, but the most important thing is to be kind to others no matter their gender identity or sex, etc. It’s okay to accept new information. While the concept of nonbinary genders aren’t new, the research on it is fairly new, so sources might be slightly inconsistent in vocabulary. Hopefully more research will be done to better understand people. Learning is a part of life and shouldn’t be shameful. Other sources for claims will be tagged below.

Difference between sex and gender: ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️   More than two gender identities: ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️   Information about people who are intersex: ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️           Six chromosomes: ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Constructive criticism is always appreciated, hate is never tolerated, strive to learn even at the expense of pride.