No Longer Human

No Longer Human

No Longer Human is a depressing but enlightening story following Oba Yozo. It tells the story of a man not able to reveal his true self to others, and instead of revealing himself he maintains a facade of hollow jocularity, later leading a life of alcoholism and drug abuse before he finally disappears. The original title of the novel ” No Longer Human” translates to “Disqualified as a Human Being” or “A Failed Human.” The main point of the story is to show what it’s like to feel completely detached and alienated in life. Yozo found everything about humanity unnatural and impossible to comprehend. The story ends with Yozo having committed many suicide attempts but he ultimately survived them all and lives out the rest of his life as a lonely existence completely estranged from the world. The author, Osamu Dazai, died shortly after the publication of “No Longer Human” and the cause was suicide. It was a lover’s suicide, he and his assistant Tomie drowned themselves is a fast moving river on June 13, 1948, in the rain-swollen Tamagawa Canal, near his house. He was found 6 days later on what would have been his 39th birthday.