Discourse in the Rap Community

As many of you may know, last Friday female rapper “Megan Thee Stallion” released a song titled “Hiss” in order to address rumors that involved a large portion of the rap community, taking shots at artists like Drake, Kenneth Petty, and most importantly, Nicki Minaj. Something that has been out for a while is the fact that Nicki’s brother and husband are both names within the state registry of sex offenders due to two different incidents that took place many years ago. Knowing this, Megan added a line in her song stating “These **** don’t be mad at Megan, these **** mad at Megan’s Law.” Megan’s Law is the law that allows the lists of sex offenders within certain areas to be visible to the public. Now it wasn’t clear if this line was directed at Nicki Minaj since Megan also talked about a trend on TikTok that popularized a song from the infamous R Kelly, criticizing how trends tend to give the wrong people attention and fame. But regardless, Nicki Minaj argued back through numerous tweets and lives, even making fun of how Megan was shot in the foot by Tory Lanez back in 2020. Today marks the new release of her song titled “Big Foot,” a 4 minute song that clapped back at “Hiss” along with warnings for Megan at the end of the song. As the reviews start coming in, there’s no telling where this tension will go and who will be affected next.