• Apr 23, 12:01 pmSENIORS: YOU GRADUATE IN 43 DAYS! KEEP GOING TIGERS!

Filed under Features

Black History Month

Happy Black History Month! February is a month dedicated for black people who have accomplished wonderful things and honors the contributions of their hard work. Black people have endured so much hardship in America in the past and it was difficult for them to be recognized for their talents because of things like racism and cruel injustice. Even to this day, unfortunately, racism and racial profiling are still existent. That is why we as a society have to celebrate those who are black, so we can tear down the stereotypes and unite against injustice.

From Frederick Douglass to Muhammad Ali, black Americans have been and still are pushing towards success and their dreams in the midst of difficulty and injustice. Like Colin Kaepernick, the famous football player who inspired many athletes to take a knee during the national anthem to stand against oppression towards Black people and those of color in America. “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people, and people of color,” Kaepernick said in a press conference after first sitting out during the anthem. This stirred controversy and hatred towards Kaepernick and others who were protesting.

Barack Obama was elected as the first black president of the United States and made history in 2008. He was elected again for a second term in 2012. Former President Obama and his wife Michelle were loved and hated by many. Even through the hate, they persevered and succeeded to make this country better for everyone. Also in the past, when slavery existed in America, people like Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass fought for their freedom and human rights. Black abolitionists wrote about the horrors of slavery and encouraged many to fight for freedom.

Civil rights activists in the sixties like Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr, and Malcolm X fought for racial equality and against segregation. Even today people like Yara Shahidi, Zendaya, Oprah, Octavia Spencer, Chadwick Boseman, Michael Jordan, Lupita Nyong’o, and many more are doing the same. Let’s all celebrate Black History month with honor and respect for our fellow African Americans.

• Black History Month

Features

Summer Time Is Coming Near…

• Black History Month

Features

Food and Drinks That Reduce Bloating

• Black History Month

Features

Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out To Be True!

• Black History Month

Features

How to Spool a Spinning Reel

• Black History Month

Features

Why is it Called Friday the 13th ?

Black History Month